Print
What are you reading? (Read 3747 times)
12th Nov, 2009 at 12:36pm

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

Well, as some of you may know I am very much a horror and historical fiction fan. I have just read and finished the trilogy Troy by David Gemmell. A brilliant read and I really do recommend that if you like a darn good read then this has to be on your list. I was shocked to discover that David Gemmell is sadly no longer with us!

I am now reading the Anne Frank Diary and I will be honest and open and say that it gets you thinking about the reality of the war from a civilians side, infact a Jew civilian in occupied territory. The way that Anne Frank wrote her diary is truly brilliant, combining childish wit with innocence and humour with that ever looming threat of being discovered or even bombed during allied raids.

What really is the most upsetting is the fact that this young girl was no longer with us, passed away instead in Belsen concentration camp suffering from Typhus. It is painful to read her life with her image on the front cover knowing that she and her family were persecuted.

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12th Nov, 2009 at 6:22pm

adsdpial   Offline
YaBB Administrator
semper fidelis
United Kingdom

I was in the play of Anne Frank recently at my local theatre, and that inspired me to the read the diary - just so moving.

If ever you get the chance to see the Play, do go.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12th Nov, 2009 at 7:27pm

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

I certainly will mate! I think the most frightening part of it all, is the innocence and the unwavering level of optimism she had, for a 13 - 14 year old!

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 29th Nov, 2009 at 11:30am

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

Well after reading a thoroughly optimistic book, Anne Frank Diary I am now reading The Last Fighting Tommy by Harry Patch and I must say it is fascinating to read something like this. The first part of the book is all about his life, growing up in the Somerset town Combe Down and about doing typical boyish things with his mates. His memory was incredible, able to recall specific places and things from over 90 years past.

I think like the Anne Frank Diary this book ought to be a source fo those studying Social History becasue there is just so much detail down to what and where his father grew in their huge gardens and the names of specific teachers in his schooling years!

Just like the Anne Frank Diary I really do recommend this book. It is not all about war but a rare insight into the social life of a single man from the Victorian period through to what we all know now.

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 15th Dec, 2009 at 5:21pm

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

As some may know, I am very interested in history and especially the 2 World Wars. Well, I purchased a large book entitled Belzec, Sobibor and Treblinka. It is about the 3 concentration camps from their beginning to their demise and I must say that although I was aware of things that went on, some of the witness statements are  ever more horrific.

The book is written by a Jew who has done in depth study on these and using witness statements given at the numerous war crime trials as well as evidence by purpetrators thenselves makes a pretty comprehensive study.

If you are interested in this type of thing then this is a good book to get!

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 21st Jan, 2010 at 2:11pm

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

The above book Belzec, Sobibor and Treblinka is a very interesting book and gives insight into what it was really like to be a captive just becasue of your faith, how they were treated all taken from survivors witness statements. I highly recommend this book to all and anyone remotely interested in the Holocaust.

The one thing that I found greatly disturbing was the mind games played on the Jews by the Nazi's, Ukrainian guards at the camps and the population around the camps. Money was taken from the Jews by the guards to buy food, alcohol, cigarettes and even guns for a proposed uprising only to discover that the guard went off with the money and brough himself vodka and the rest was spent on prostitutes. Clothing from the murdered were sifted through and the prize items such as expensive clothing was taken by the Nazis and Ukrainians back to their own families as gifts!

Anyway, I am now reading a trilogy by Robyn Young. The first book is called Brethren and is based around the Knights Templar and the wars in the Middle East. The book focuses on 2 main characters, Will Campbell an up and coming Knight and Amir Baybars the Mamluk (Moslem) leader. I love these types of book becasue the way that they are written really puts you there. The only things missing is the smells!

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 23rd Jan, 2010 at 9:47am

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

EBooks! It is said that eBooks are set to take 20% of the total book sales which will lead to the demise of the highstreet bookstore. Now, we al now that the highstreet will eventually be a thing of history becasue online and electronic technologies will sadly destroy this experience.

What do you think of the eBook phenomena and does it attaract you?

Personally I love nothing more than to pick up a new book and flick through the pages  fanning that superb smell into my face. Can this be rplaced? One thing I really do hate and that is when the book is old and going brown and the smell is horrible!

Those eBook readers are so expensive. Something else as well, looking at a screen does make your eyes hurt and ache unlike a book!

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 23rd Jan, 2010 at 9:57am

adsdpial   Offline
YaBB Administrator
semper fidelis
United Kingdom

I guess they'll be handy when you travel and have little space, but I agree, nothing can replace the feel and smell of the book in your hand - there is also something intangible about the comforting feeling you get when you hold a book, which an electronic device could never replace, imo  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 7th Aug, 2010 at 1:05pm

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

I have decided to buy myself a Kindle! I have so many reading books some that I purchased over 12 years ago, starting to go brown and really musty. I hate this smell a reason I will never buy a second hand book no matter what.

One thing I will miss and this is the one thing I adore about books and that is that new book smell! I love it! But I could live without that smell if it meant that a Kindle will hold as many as 3,500 books! Can you imagine how many rooms this number will fill?

Anyway, I am currently reading the Empire series by Sam Barone set in 3100 BC along the river Tigris. I love these types of stories as you really have to imagine yourself there, feeling, smelling and hearing things.

I finished the Catcher in the Rye a week ago after reading it in just 2 days but what the heck is it about? I know it is an American Classic and loads and loads and loads of people rave about it, but... Personally, if I had have known what I now know then there is no way I would have purchased it. Nothing happens! It is about a guy who get kicked out of school and makes his way home. But the letter to his parents will not arrive for a few days so he decided to rough it for the next few days. He breaks into his parents home to talk to his little sister. He calls ex teachers and girls up at all times in the night and the favourite words and comments he makes just do my head in. Before you know it you areading the last sentence, left hanging in the air wondering, what the heck was all that about? Can someone enlighten me, pleas Huhe?

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 8th Nov, 2010 at 7:09am

singmelya   Offline
Junior Trump
Top Trumps Rule!!

I am reading the JANE lOVE

I need a R4 DS, yes, just Nintendo DS R4, just a R4 CARD !!
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 8th Nov, 2010 at 7:38am

The Rogue   Offline
YaBB Administrator
The Grumpy ole fart! Bah
Humbug!
Trumps Central

Even though I have a Kindle, I recently brought Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer.

I have always thought that up until about 1941 when Germany invaded Russia was a genius but now I am not so sure. I mean, his political moves as well as his military moves up until this time were bold and decisive but was it all his doing?

The book also highlights the internal fighting between Goering, Himmler, Geobbels,and Bormann ot name a few and the total chaos of Fascism.

I also did not know that Speer had suffered some illness. But I am just about o start this chapter so I do not know what as yet, but non-the-less and enthralling insight into the regime!

Simply The Best
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 2nd May, 2012 at 7:57pm
devil_priest   Ex Member

I just finished reading Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin.

The book chronicles Sarah's life in terms of her political career and in terms of her family.

This is a great book, and I really appreciate hearing Sarah's story from her - not the liberal press trying to smear her.

If you listened to all the media bashing, this book is for you. It will turn even the most hated Sarah Palin fan into someone who at least cares for Palin as a person.

If you ever want to learn about a politician who wants to help and know somewhat of where some of us come from, this would be a good one.

« Last Edit: 4th May, 2012 at 2:38pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 2nd May, 2012 at 9:34pm

torymp   Offline
Top Trumps Member
Top Trumps Rule!!
romford

yeah i got part way through "GASPIPE" confessions of a mafia boss
but he became a grass to save his own butt - so time to read the rest of the book.

so i today ive started reading "murder machine" - this is the updated book of the roy deMeo crew ( the well feared gambino crew) even john gotti was scared of em,its the updated version with new facts.

i will let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: 3rd May, 2012 at 9:26am by The Rogue »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print